If you’re currently struggling with Acne, know this “YOU’RE NOT ALONE”. There are more than 1.5 million cases of Acne per year in Nigeria. Acne is the most common skin condition in the United States, affecting up to 50 million Americans annually. Crazy stats yeah?
What exactly is Acne?
Acne (Acne Vulgaris) is a chronic, inflammatory skin condition that causes spots and pimples, especially on the face, shoulders, back, neck, chest, and upper arms.
Acne is largely a hormonal condition that’s driven by androgens which typically occur during teenage and young adult years. Sensitivity to these hormones, combined with surface bacteria on the skin and fatty acids within the oil glands can result in Acne
Acne may appear as :
Does Acne affect only teenagers?
Though it mainly affects teenagers and young adults undergoing hormonal changes, many people continue struggling with acne into their 20s, 30s and beyond. Some even develop acne for the first time as adults.
What Causes Acne?
There are certain things that can cause acne and/or make it worse:
- Fluctuating hormone levels around the time of a woman’s period ( one of the major causes of my acne ).
- Stress, which increases the hormone, cortisol, can also cause acne to flare. ( Here’s why you always break out when you’re stressed ).
- Air pollution ( Screams in NIGERIA 🥲 )and certain weather conditions, especially high humidity.
- Picking at acne sores. 👀
- Using oily or greasy personal care products (like heavy lotions, creams or hair pomades and waxes).
- Some medications e.g Quinine, Isoniazid, steroids, anticonvulsants e.t.c. Recreational drugs like Marijuana and Cocaine can also aggravate Acne.
Fun fact : DIRTY SKIN DOES NOT CAUSE ACNE. According to The Mayo Clinic, dirt on the skin plays no part in promoting acne. Acne occurs underneath the skin, inside the pores and hair follicles. The end result, pimples and zits, occur on the outer layer of the skin. So dirt could irritate existing acne on the skin but it does not cause it.
We’ll be talking on Acne Treatments on our next blog post
But before we round up, here are a few questions :
What type of acne do you have? Blackheads? Pustules? Whiteheads? Papule? Cysts? Nodules?
Do you break out when you’re stressed?
Who else thinks living in Nigeria is a risk factor for Acne? 😩
Do you break out when you’re on / around your period? I know I do.
Have you noticed anything peculiar about your acne?
Please drop your lovely comments and don’t forget to like, follow and share ❤️